Queensland Academies Health Sciences Campus Australian Business Week 2015
Congratulations to our Year 11 students on the outstanding success of Australian Business Week 2015! Held in the last week of Semester 1, 100 students formed 10 Teams and participated in this enriching learning experience of the business world. The week began in the Academy Lecture Theatre where students met their mentors. Over the course of the week the students:
- formed corporate teams
- named, marketed and managed their own company
- researched cultural aspects of their allocated home country
- designed a product or service that could be used within the health industry
- focussed on environmental sustainability
- engaged in a computer business simulation over a two-year period
- produced a 30 second TV advertisement and developed a web site
- prepared a written company report
- delivered an oral company report to the shareholders
- created and spruiked their products at the Trade Expo
- listened to motivational guest speakers, and
- engaged in teamwork skills.
The week culminated in the Awards Dinner which was held at the Southport Golf Club and hosted by Year 12 students, Rebecca Norvock and Jonathan Manifold. A large number of sponsors, mentors, parents and staff joined our students in this celebration of an extremely challenging week.
Fourteen awards were presented by our sponsors in the following categories:
- Stead Lane Award for Logo Design
- General Electric Australia Teamwork Award
- Allamanda Private Hospital Company Report Award
- Quill Group Oral Presentation to Shareholders Award
- National Bank Computer Simulation Award
- Griffith University Student Guild Trade Display Award
- Ace of Frames Award for best TV Advertisement
- Optimal Lifestyles Award for Website Design
- Quill Group Marketing Award
- General Electric Australia Award for Environmental Sustainability
- Griffith University Student Guild Cultural Representation Award
- City of Gold Coast Division 6 “People’s Choice” Trade Expo Award
- Queensland Academies Award for Most Outstanding CEO
- Griffith University Health Group Grand Champion Team Award
The complete list of award winners by category can be found on the ABW page of our website at:
Ten outstanding students led their teams and vied for the title of Most Outstanding CEO. The 2015 award went to Celine Weinand from Team Trident.
Judging takes place during the week and points are allocated across all categories. The competition was very closely contested this year with only 9.58% separating the 10 teams. The prestigious award for Grand Champion Team went to Team Cubo, mentored by Mrs Wendy Groner and led by CEO Gabi Roworth.
The Australian Business Week program enables us to provide a range of experiences and skills to develop the leaders of the future. It also has the potential to sow the seeds of an entrepreneurial culture. The challenges of the computer simulation and the demands on our students, definitely contributed to their better understanding of business and life in general.
Providing a high calibre Business Week program comes at an enormous cost and our students are extremely grateful to all of the businesses and individuals who offered their support this year. We express our sincere gratitude for the involvement of all our sponsors, mentors, judges and guest lecturers. See more about the QAHS ABW program at http://qahs.eq.edu.au/news-events/abw/.