Term 4 Focus: Appreciation of beauty and excellence
Term 4 Focus: IB Learner Profile: Balanced/Reflective;
Character Strength: Appreciation of Beauty and excellenceThe International Baccalaureate aims to develop inquiring, knowledgeable and caring young people who help to create a better and more peaceful world through intercultural understanding and respect. The IB Learner Profile represents ten attributes valued by IB World Schools. These attributes enable individuals and groups to become responsible members of local, national and global communities. All students have the opportunity to identify and utilise their character strengths whilst embodying the IB Learner profile. The diagram below (Figure 1) aligns each of the 24 character strengths with the IB Learner profile characteristics, bringing the IB Learner profile to life. IB Learners draw on their strengths to energise them through the IB journey. The Character Strengths also provides a language for all IB Learners to engage and use in conversation to better understand members of their learning community.
Term 4 Focus will utilize the Character Strength: Appreciation of Beauty and Excellence (IBLP: Reflective/ Balanced). During Term 4, QA Community members will be encouraged to notice, and appreciate excellence and skilled performance in all domains of their lives from nature, to excellence at Academy Awards Night. This strength falls under the virtue of Transcendence that describes “strengths that provides a connection to higher meaning and purpose other than ourselves”.
Each week our community will focus on a unique aspect of acknowledging the excellence and beauty in ourselves and others. The weekly tips to boost our appreciation are listed below:
- Appreciate how fortunate and blessed you are.
- The roots of all goodness lie in the soil of appreciation for goodness. Dalai Lama
- When was the last time you picked a flower just to gaze at its beauty?
- Remember to appreciate the community that has nurtured you.
- Everything has its beauty even if not everyone sees it.
- Be mindful in your activities and fully appreciate your life.
- Thank-you Year 12s for the positive footprint you leave at QAHS.
- Nature has a wonderful capacity to bring us into the moment
For more information on the character strength visit the webpage http://www.viacharacter.org/www/Character-Strengths/Appreciation-of-Beauty-and-Excellence
Or to take the test to find your character strengths http://www.viacharacter.org/www/Character-Strengths-Survey